Thursday, August 15, 2013

Wherein I Recount Today's Ride to South Haven

Today I rode 55 miles to South Haven and back. Here's the data:

Most of the way is through blueberry fields like this one.

Actually kind of boring- it's like riding through cornfields but instead of corn you see blueberry bushes. Another drawback of monoculture.

My rear tire flatted as I entered the South Haven trailhead so that was as good a time as any to stop for lunch and repair the flat. I found a very small stone chip that had imbedded itself into the rubber and worked its way through the casing. Could have been there for weeks. I do inspect the tires for such things, but this was too small to be noticed.

After lunch I rode to the lake. A strong west wind was kicking up swells in the channel and no swimming was allowed. The sign said "Avoid Contact With Water." I wondered if monoculture could be the culprit here too.

So, homeward bound. I passed this old schoolhouse on the way home. I remember first seeing this years ago and thinking it would be a nice project to restore and convert to a home.

Every year the project increases in scope. At least someone loved it enough to place a wreath on the front door.

That's all folks. Ride lots!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment