Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Holland Group Ride

I occasionally join the Tuesday night group ride that originates from Velo City in Holland. This is one of the largest group rides in the area. Here's part of the group taking over the back alley near the shop. These are my people.

We split up into smaller groups according to how fast we want to go. I usually go with the second group, which goes about 20 average in a 30ish mile route south and east of Holland. I like the feeling of rushing through the countryside riding as close as you can to stay in the draft of those ahead of you. Here's a quick snap I took during one of the straight stretches.
While there is an understanding that no one gets dropped, we do split up into smaller groups as the ride progresses. There is also a hill where everyone goes as fast as they can- sort of a race within a non race. The hill is where I go into the red zone and get passed by some of the younger, fitter bikers. This is where I resolve to lose more weight and train harder. I must need humiliation as a motivator.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment