Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sea to Sea Week 6 Day -1

Sundays are rest days for Sea to Sea. We had the following message board for the day
The agenda is the upper left sheet: not much was scheduled until the evening church service. I volunteered myself to help in the kitchen for breakfast-Sunday morning just wouldn't be right unless I rushed around in some kitchen somewhere. This time it was for 150 people and the kitchen is a prototype mobile unit.
 
 
 
Some found a church nearby to worship with in the morning. Rod said he rode his bike down the street and stopped at the first church he saw, which happened to be a house church of about 25 worshipers. He said it was a very close, informal and special time. My introverted self wanted a little peace and solitude so I just rode my bike down the street and stopped at the first coffee shop I saw that was open and charged my phone while I read the news at a table for one.
 
 
 
The evening service was hosted by New Life Community Church, which held a special service just for us. They also provided a spaghetti dinner for us which gave the kitchen staff a night off. I have heard of many such acts of generous hospitality from local churches that want to participate in the mission of Sea to Sea. There are also acts of generosity from local bakeries, such as these cookies we had with lunch:
 
Tomorrow I bike 95 miles or so. We heard tonight there is a bridge out on the planned course so there is an undefined detour. I need to work off all that spaghetti and cookies I've been eating. Regrettably, we will miss the Sweet Corn Feed , scheduled for tomorrow night right at our campsite. I would think they do a mean sweet corn here in Iowa.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment