Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sea to Sea Week 6 Day -2

Today we traveled by van from home to Coralville, Iowa to meet up with the tour. My two fellow travelers were from Grand Rapids, Paul Buth (on the right below) and Rod Boerman (on the left.) Both had done past Sea to Sea tours and shared many experiences with me about bicycle touring and group camping in general. One thing I will remember is to check for underground sprinkler heads before setting up my tent. Here they are completing some required paperwork as we unpacked the rental van.

 

The place we are camped is a city park/community center that has a water park, indoor pool (with the essential hot showers,) baseball diamonds, etc. I wonder what the local residents think when a caravan of Sea to Sea vehicles roll up, followed by over a hundred cyclists who set up their tents in random places throughout the park.

 

Dinner was good cycling food-spaghetti, salad etc. I sat with the Kalamazoo group and made to feel welcome. I am anxious to get on the bike, but it won't be for another day. I volunteered to help in the kitchen tomorrow morning. We will somehow be attending church services at a local church. I also am learning the cultural lingo. I overheard a group of young people mention they were going to a "Canadian Bible Study" after dinner that involved craft beer.

 

It is getting chilly here as the sun sets so I need to sign off and change into some long pants.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment