Thursday, July 11, 2013

The thrill of victory, the agony of my feet

Because of the longer distances in the "Sea to Sea" ride, I have been doing some longish rides over the past couple of months. Instead of the usual 30-40 miles, I try for at least one ride of over 70 miles each week. I also began using different shoes with recessed SPD cleats because of all the walking anticipated:

These Sidi Dominators have the same upper as my road shoes which have over 3000 pain-free miles on them. The problem is that after about 50 miles or so the outside of my feet hurt like crazy. I tried loosening the straps to no improvement. I also experienced loud and annoying squeaks each pedal stroke. I was not looking forward to a week of escalating pain during the Sea to Sea tour. After consulting with my Local Bike Shop, it turns out my 15 year old SPD pedals were deemed too worn out. They allowed my feet to roll outward too much at each pedal stroke, which caused the foot pain. A new set of pedals will hold my feet in a stable position:

(I know the back steps need paint- I'll put it on George's to-do list.)

 

Also, because we'll be camping the week of Sea to Sea I thought cycling sandals might come in handy:

 
 

I tried these on yesterday's 86 mile ride, taking along my cycling shoes to change into when the sandals became too annoying. These things are the closest thing to riding barefoot, which I haven't done since I was a kid. Never even thought about changing into my Sidi shoes. I may use just the sandals all summer. I do recommend sunscreen on your feet the first few days you wear them. Otherwise you will get some weird sunburn pattern on the tops of your feet:

 

It's all good now!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment